Commercial Property Improvement Matching Grant
The Fort Myers Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) Commercial Property Improvement Grant Program is a matching grant for commercial property owners and businesses within Fort Myers commercial redevelopment areas.
The grant funds should enhance the project’s quality, the overall curb appeal of the property, and, ultimately, the property values along the corridor. This program’s desired outcomes and objectives are to encourage improvements that may not have occurred without the additional grant funds. The maximum potential grant available for a project is 50% of the total project cost, with a maximum award of $25,000 since grant awards will depend on the availability of funds.
- To cure or prevent blighted and slum-conditions within all CRA redevelopment areas.
- To increase the property values within CRA all redevelopment areas.
- To fill vacant or underutilized spaces within all CRA redevelopment areas.
- To encourage adaptive reuse and revitalization of commercial corridors within all CRA redevelopment areas.
- To improve the curb appeal of commercial corridors within all CRA redevelopment areas.
The following expenditures would be considered eligible for reimbursement under the Matching Grant Program:
- Removal and/or repair or replace deteriorated exterior building materials such as plywood, metal, glass, or stucco.
- Painting building exterior
- New or replacement woodwork or architectural details on the exterior
- Exterior signs (including the removal of old signs and installation of new signs)
- Awnings (including the removal of old awnings or installation of new ones)
- Exterior Landscaping, planters, irrigation, and screening
- The lighting of the exterior
- Brick or textured pavement (exterior)
- Professional design services for exterior improvements
- Parking lot improvements
- Courtyard and outside dining design & development
- Dumpster enclosures
The following expenditures would not be eligible for reimbursement under the Matching Grant Program:
- Improvements made before grant approval
- Interior renovations, including fixtures, equipment, or inventory
- Professional design services for interior improvements
- Roof repairs
- Refinancing existing debts
- Removal of curb cuts
- Non-fixed improvements
- Sweat equity payments
- Business Payroll
- General maintenance
- Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (HVAC, security systems, piping, etc.) Utilities
- Legal fees
- Work performed that is not consistent with the Design Guidelines for the CRA according to the Redevelopment Plan and Fort Myers Land Use and Development Regulations or not consistent with the approved project plan
- Improvements to the following are ineligible for funding: discouraged or prohibited uses, tax-exempt properties, government-owned property, and non-conforming uses
The CRA Board reserves the right to modify or alter the list of eligible and ineligible expenses on a project by project basis.
Community Redevelopment AgencyPhysical Address
1400 Jackson Street
Fort Myers, FL 33901
Phone: 239-321-7100Fax: 239-344-5911
Cheryl V. Thornton
Community Redevelopment Specialist
Natalie S. Dunham
Advertising & Promotions Manager
Sr. Administrative Assistant