The City of Fort Myers Community Development Department has converted to the new Software, Tyler EnerGov. Please visit the EnerGov Customer Self Service Portal and watch our new instructional videos. Applying for Permits (video) and Inspections (video). Questions about EnerGov? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Permitting at 239-321-7925.
Taxes for New & Existing Businesses
The Planning Division is responsible for issuing business tax receipts to all new businesses within the city limits, as well as coordinating the annual tax renewal process for existing businesses. New businesses are encouraged in and welcomed to the city. Our staff will do everything possible to help make locating or relocating a business within the city a successful event.
The local business tax receipt regulations of the city can be found in Chapter 82 of the City Code. A current and valid tax receipt is required prior to engaging in business activity within the city limits.
Business Tax Receipt Applications
Our local business tax staff work closely with the zoning, permitting and inspections divisions to ensure proper zoning, health and safety requirements are met. Tax receipts must be applied for in person at the:
Community Development Department
1825 Hendry St.
Suite # 101
Fort Myers, FL 33901
Three Payment Options
In Person: Visit our office at 1825 Hendry St in downtown Fort Myers
For the next two payment options, your tax receipt must not be expired and your business must be in a fixed fee rate category.
Online: Click the link to pay your business tax fee online.
Phone: Using the Interactive Voice Response Line (IVR) at 1-866-217-9262.
- Application (original) (PDF)
- Application for Appeal of Administrative Decision (PDF)
- Application Packet - Complete (PDF)
- Business Tax Application Checklist (PDF)
- Closed Business Letter (PDF)
- Conditional Use Application (PDF)
- Fire Inspection Checklist (PDF)
- Home Business Affidavit (PDF)
- Home Business Application (PDF)
- Maintenance Repair (PDF)
- Owner Affidavits (2019) (PDF)
- Police Background (PDF)
- Property Owner Permission Letter (PDF)
- Social Security Affidavit (PDF)
- Special Event Parking (PDF)
- Statement of Acknowledgment (PDF)
- Temporary Outdoor Dining Area Application
- Temporary Vendor (PDF)