- 1st and 3rd Wednesday each month
Each member shall be a resident of the city, be between 15 - 19 years of age and maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.75 or equivalent.
The Fort Myers Teen Advisory Council is not to exceed 24 members. Each City Council member shall nominate 1 member from each ward and the mayor shall nominate 1 member. The remaining 17 members and the adult chair shall be appointed by the selection committee, consisting of a member of each of the following groups as compiled by the Fort Myers Youth Services Coalition:
- Faith-based agency member
- Government-funded agency member
- Local non-profit organization member
The selection committee will choose qualified prospective members to be interviewed by a panel consisting of members of the Fort Myers Teen Advisory Council. Failure to attend 3 meetings in a 12-month period shall result in removal of the member from the council.
The members of the council shall be sworn by the city clerk to perform the duties of the office. The duties of the council are as follows:
- Develop and promote programs that build strong character traits and skills teens will use into adulthood.
- Plan events that will educate and inform local teens.
- Support continuing dialog with all teens including private schooled and home schooled students.
- Evaluate continuing feedback to ensure that all teen concerns are addressed justly.
- Ensure all information avenues are current.
- Advocate partnerships with existing and on-going teen programs and organizations.