- Boards & Committees
- List of City Boards
- Nuisance Abatement Board
Nuisance Abatement Board
- 1 p.m.
- 2nd Tuesday of each month if needed
- City Hall
2200 Second St.
Fort Myers, FL 33901
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
All agenda, minutes, and other related materials will be accessible when available.
The Nuisance Abatement Board shall consist of 7 members and 2 alternate members who shall serve for a term of 2 years. The members shall serve without compensation but may be reimbursed for such expenses as may be authorized by the City Council.
Members shall reside in or maintain a business establishment in the city. One of the 2 mayoral appointments shall be a member of the state bar with trial experience.
The members of the board shall be sworn by the city clerk to perform the duties of the office. The duties of the board are as follows:
- Establish additional penalties for public nuisances including fines not to exceed $250 per day
- Provide for the payment of reasonable costs including reasonable attorney's fees associated with investigations of and hearings on public nuisances
- Provide for continuing jurisdiction for a period of 1 year over any place or premises that has been or is declared to be a public nuisance
- Establish penalties including fines not to exceed $500 per day for recurring public nuisances
- Provide for the recording of orders on public nuisances so that notice must be given to subsequent purchasers, successors in interest, or assigns of the real property that is the subject of the order
- Provide that recorded orders on public nuisances may become liens against the real property that is the subject of the order
- Provide for the foreclosure of property subject to a lien and the recovery of all costs, including reasonable attorney's fees, associated with the recording of orders and foreclosure