Step Up To Work
Due to the COVID-19 situation, the City of Fort Myers Step Up To Work program for 2020 has been cancelled. We plan to re-initiate the program for 2021. Please check back in early December for any updated 2021 program information.
The City of Fort Myers Step Up to Work program gives local High School students from the ages of 16-18 the opportunity to work in various City departments to gain valuable work experience and learn how City departments function.
All interested students must apply online for employment by clicking on the job title “summer student aide” and clicking on the “apply” link! Please be sure to follow the instructions when setting up an account as a first-time user. If you need assistance, please contact our office at (239) 321-7066.
The City of Fort Myers will offer jobs to a limited number of students through the summer student aide, Step Up to Work program. The program will run for 6 weeks, from June to July. Students will be placed in various city departments, work approximately 32 hours a week, and earn $10.00 per hour. This program will include an employability skills workshop and mentoring by city staff.
To qualify for this program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a resident of and live within the city limits of the City of Fort Myers. To verify your address is within city limits, please visit our online resource Am I In the City and enter your address including both the street and city in the search field located in the upper right hand corner. The address will be displayed on the map in a location box. You will then click outside the box and a message will be displayed indicating whether the address is within the limits of the City of Fort Myers.
- Must be 16–18 years of age at the time of application and currently enrolled in high school.
- Family household annual income must not exceed 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI) level. The AMI is based on the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) 2019 median household income level for the Cape Coral and Fort Myers metropolitan statistical area of $65,100.
**Children of employees of the City of Fort Myers are NOT eligible to participate in this program**
You will need to provide the following documents at the time of application to be considered for employment:
- A copy of your birth certificate as proof of age
- Signed parental consent form for pre-employment drug testing and criminal background checks (form provided online when you begin the application process)
- Family household income verification form (form provided online when you begin the application process)
- City of Fort Myers residency verification form
- High school enrollment verification form
Failure to submit all required documents prior to the closing date for this job will disqualify you from being considered.
These forms can be scanned and attached to the application, faxed to (239) 226-0355, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or hand delivered to human resources at:
The City of Fort Myers
Human Resources Department
1820 Hendry Street
Fort Myers, FL. 33901
All required forms must be submitted prior to the closing date for this job in order to be considered.