Building, Permitting & Inspections (BPI)
The City of Fort Myers Community Development Department has converted to the new Software, Tyler EnerGov. Please visit the EnerGov Customer Self Service Portal and watch our new instructional videos. Applying for Permits (video) and Inspections (video). Questions about EnerGov? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Permitting at 239-321-7925.
NEW COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT LOBBY HOURS
The City of Fort Myers Community Development Department lobby doors on 1825 Hendry Street will close at 4 p.m. Phone lines remain open from 7:30 am to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The lobby is open for business each morning at 7:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. Please call Community Development staff at 239-321-7925 if there are any questions or concerns. Thank you.
Average Plan Review Time Frames
|Average # of Days for Intake||Average # of Days in Plan Review *||Average # of Days for Processing After Plan Review||Average # of Days in Total|
|Single Family New / Remodel||3 days||7 days||2 days||12 days|
|Commercial New / Remodel||3 days||17 days||2 days||22 days|
|Multi-Family New / Remodel||3 days||13 days||2 days||18 days|
* Note: The above time frames include review by all Departments / Divisions including Building, Engineering, Fire and Zoning as well as associated trades. The above time frames are noted in calendar days.
Building, Permitting and Inspections (BPI) is responsible for plan review, permitting, inspections, contractor registration, and the Building and Zoning Oversight Committee (BZOC). BPI’s mission is to assure the public’s safety through effective, efficient, quality enforcement of the Florida Building Code through review and approval of construction plans, issuance of construction and other permits, field inspection of construction work and issuance of certificates of occupancy in a timely manner.
All of the following information must be provided:
- The IVR number (found on the permit or the fee sheet)
- The 3-digit code for the type of inspection you are requesting
- Requests received after 5:30 a.m. will automatically be scheduled for the next business day
- Service Change, Re-roof Dry In, and Re-roof In- Progress will allow the permit holder to request inspection at a estimated hour between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- The IVR system will not allow subcontractor inspection requests on buildings, pools or signs where the Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical, Roofing and/or Gas subcontractor information has not been validated. This information is provided and validated at the time of application or issuance on the Subcontractor Worksheet
- The system will prevent duplicate inspection requests for one day
- The system will prevent scheduling inspection requests on inspections already approved.
- Scheduled inspections can be cancelled through the system before 5:30 a.m. the morning of the inspection.
- After 5:30 a.m., you must contact the office directly for assistance at 239-321-7920.
The IVR system will allow you to either:
- Hear the results of all inspections scheduled on the permit
- Receive a faxed report of inspection history on the permit by entering your fax number when prompted
- Receive an email of inspection history on the permit if your email was provided at the time of permit application or issuance
- The contractor requests a large deposit or all of the money up front before any work has commenced
- The contractor asks you to pull a "homeowner permit"
- The contractor pressures you to sign a contract today or he/she can't give you this special price
Verifying Contractor LicensesTo verify the license of a contractor, you may call the State of Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) at 850-487-1395. The city requires proof of license from contractors who pull permits for properties located in the city, so be sure to require that the contractor pull the permit in his name, not your name.
Flood zone requirements
A plan review comment letter will be emailed, faxed, or mailed to you if there are issues concerning your permit application. Contact the staff member listed on the plan review comment letter if you have questions regarding the review.
Site Plan Submission
Checklists which address all items required for a permit application as well as plan review items are available through this website or in the lobby of the Community Development Department.